A great way to remember our values is to think of a tree – just like our logo.
On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. – Revelation 22:2
“Blessed is the man who delights in the Law of the Lord…he will be like a tree planted by rivers of water…he bears fruit in his season, and his leaf doesn’t wither.” – Psalm 1
We want to grow like a tree, planted by rivers of water. We should think of our values as moving UP – THROUGH – and OUT. We want to do three things, just like a tree:
1) Drinks deeply. “He’s planted by rivers of water,” so he drinks deeply of the moisture and nutrients in the soil. We want to drink deeply our first two values –
2) Grows richly. “His leaf does not wither.” Those nutrients build it up and it develops strength. We want to grow richly through those second two values:
- Family: We want to grow through our family life through our marriages, families, and being a family of families.
- Community: We want to grow through our community – small groups and relationships.
3) Shares freely. “He bears fruit in his season.” If you’ve ever had a fruit tree in your yard, you know that they share freely. You are always mowing over apples or stepping on mulberries! They freely share. We have this image as a church of the tree of life, that rises up and blesses the community around it. We want to be like that through our:
- Community: We want to bless the community around us with our generosity.
- Missions: We want to spread the gospel around the Triangle and around the world.
These are our 5 values:
- Drink deeply – through Bible and Prayer
- Grow richly – through Family and Community
- And share freely – through Community and Missions
Community is mentioned twice, because community both blesses those around us and it grows us in our faith.
For more information, click on: